Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised
The current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (abbreviated RONR) is designed to be adopted by organizations or assemblies as their "parliamentary authority". Once adopted, the rules contained in RONR are binding upon it in all cases where they are not inconsistent with the bylaws (or constitution) of the body, any of its own special rules of order, or any provisions of local, state, or national law applying to the particular type of organization.
Whatever the "current edition" of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised is at the time, it supersedes all previous editions and is intended automatically to become the parliamentary authority in organizations whose bylaws prescribe "Robert's Rules of Order," "Robert's Rules of Order Revised," "Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised," or "the current edition of" any of these titles, or the like, without specifying a particular edition. If the bylaws specifically identify one of the previous editions of the work as parliamentary authority, the bylaws should be amended to prescribe "the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised.
Since the Fall of 2011, the 11th edition has been the official current edition, but in late August of 2020 the authorship team wil release the new 12th edition.
from 2011 to Aug. 28, 2020
after Aug. 28 2020
The 12th edition will be on sale from August 25, 2020 and can be pre-ordered at Amazon or Barnes and Noble
The new and enhanced features of the 12th edition (ISBN-13: 9781541797710, 848 pages) will include:
- Section-based paragraph numbering to facilitate cross-references and e-book compatibility
- Expanded appendix of charts, tables, and lists
- Helpful summary explanations about postponing a motion, reconsidering a vote, making and enforcing points of order and appeals, and newly expanded procedures for filling blanks
- New provisions regarding debate on nominations, reopening nominations, and completing an election after its scheduled time
- Dozens more clarifications, additions, and refinements to improve the presentation of existing rules, incorporate new interpretations, and address common inquiries
Coinciding with publication of the 12th edition, the authors of this manual have once again published an updated (3rd) edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief, a simple and concise introductory guide cross-referenced to it.
Online Historical Editions
Thomas Jefferson's Manual of Paliamentary Practice (1812 edition)
Cushing's Manual of Paliamentary Practice
Robert's Rules of Order (1st ed., 1876)
Robert's Rules of Order Revised (4th ed.,1915)
Hawaiʻi State Association of Parliamentarians
Josette Kawana, RP, President
email@example.com P.O. Box 10731, Honolulu, HI 96816